About the Role:
Hogs Back Brewery has been successfully brewing its award-winning ales and lagers since 1992 from its home on Manor Farm in the village of Tongham, Surrey.
More recently, it opened a Brewery Tap, comprising:
- The Bar in a converted hop kiln with a wood-burner
- The Hop Hall, which is used one month of the year for the hop harvest but for the rest of the year doubles as an event space
- The marquee, with wood-fired pizza oven, which is being developed with a “café” feel
- The beer garden, overlooking the hop garden and beautiful Surrey countryside
There are plans to extend the outdoor space with a Sunken Garden for a unique events space and an outdoor pergola in 2023.
The Tap sells our own range of beers, served fresh from the cellar, together with a range of wines, spirits, soft drinks, and hot beverages. The full kitchen serves a range of mains, sides, desserts, specials and sharing platters and has just started serving Sunday roasts. Food is sourced locally wherever possible.
There is an active programme of live music, alternative comedy, charity quizzes and special events which are well-attended, and we have started to host wedding receptions, private parties, and corporate events.
Currently open Thursdays-Sundays inclusive, there are plans to increase opening hours to run a full seven-day a week operation to meet the growing demand and to optimise additional opportunities.
The Bar has 45 covers, the marquee 50, beer garden 160-200 and Hop Hall approximately 180, our annual Hop Harvest party weekend attracts up to 3000 visitors.
The Brewery Tap Chef is a key role within the business to help deliver the growth plans. We require a personable, self-motivated individual, with the appropriate experience, capable of growing with the business. They must be able to manage a busy team whilst delivering high standards in all aspects of the operation.
They must be able to fit into the sleeves-rolled-up, entrepreneurial culture of the business, as brewing remains our prime raison d’être and the quality of our beer is an important part of maintaining our brand reputation.
Our role in the local community is important to us and we are focussed on a range of environmental initiatives across the business to make our operation more sustainable - more specifically for the Tap, to reduce food miles and unnecessary wastage, together with local sourcing where possible.
Level 3 Food Hygiene certification a must.
- To manage and successfully grow the existing business, through executional excellence and delivering fresh and innovative ideas.
- To ensure the food quality is excellent and to develop appropriate menus for the Tap and events, including seasonal menus and specials
- To source local produce where possible
- To purchase ingredients and supplies to ensure adequate stocks with minimal wastage
- To ensure the highest level of food hygiene in all the food preparation areas
- To lead, motivate and train your staff and develop them into a high-performing team
- To manage the Back of House staff Rota, ensuring consistent levels of staffing, in line with business needs and budget
- To monitor and manage specific business Key Performance Indicators
Total 42.5 hours per week or as business requires, with evening and weekend work. As the business develops, a supervisor role will be developed to share Friday/Saturday duties.
There will be anywhere between 2 and 4 staff reporting to you per shift. The Bar Manager/Assistant Manager will lead front of house whilst you run back of house, but you need to stand in for each other on holidays etc. You will all report to the Operations Manager.
Salary – Competitive dependent on experience 25 days holiday per year. Level 3 Food Hygiene certification a must.
If you fancy applying to be our Head Chef in the Tap, then please apply with your CV and covering letter to email@example.com